Monday, August 15, 2011

a Miracle of Healing

One of my dear friends, Colby McLaurin, will be having brain surgery tomorrow to remove a large tumor in his brain.  We are praying for a successful cure, a miracle, whether by medical or miraculous means.  Maybe God is encouraging my faith and reminding me of the power of prayer, but below I have recorded two miraculous healings that I have personally experienced first-hand as a testimony to God's grace, mercy, and power.  My prayer is that the Lord will receive the most glory in healing Colby, as well.

My first experience with a miraculous healing occurred in the Spring of 2010.  I was almost 4 months pregnant with Nathan the week before Easter when I had strained my lumbar back muscles.  I had constant spasms and intense pain for the entire week starting on Sunday, March 28th.  The pain was so bad that it made me nauseated and I could not keep anything down, not even water.  My OB/GYN gave me Tylenol/Codeine for the pain, which I was taking around the clock, alternating with the max dose of Tylenol I could take to come in right at 4000mg/24hrs.  Even with all these pain meds, I still was unable to function or eat.  I even used phenergan suppositories to keep from dry heaving constantly from the pain.  My Sister-in-law, Julia, and my Mother-in-law were incredible during this period, helping me out with Michael so I could rest.  My other Sister-in-law, Wendy, happened to come into town for Easter, so Saturday evening, April 3rd, she came over to our house, laid her hands on me, and prayed for healing, claiming healing for me in the name of Jesus Christ.  As soon as the prayer was over, I no longer felt any pain.  Not wanting to be disappointed if the pain returned, I cautiously admitted that I no longer felt pain, but it could have been because I had just taken another dose of the Tylenol/Codeine.  But when I woke up Easter morning pain free, I knew that I had experienced an Easter miracle!  The pain never returned!


On Saturday evening, two days ago, I had gone back out to the car to bring in a few things.  Michael came and stood right behind the door.  Not realizing he was there, when I swung the door open, it crashed into his left big toe and lifted the distal 5mm of his big toe from the nailbed, even folding it and creating a white line separating the lifted portion from the rest of the normal toenail.  I immediately scooped my crying baby boy into my arms, apologizing over and over again, and held him close.  Then I began to pray for his toe.  I put my hand over his hurt toe and continued to call on the name of Jesus Christ, asking for healing, claiming healing in Jesus's name, asking for a miracle, and asking for more faith to help my unbelief.  I checked on the toe several times as I continued to pray, and when I still saw that his toenail still bled, still had the white crease, and appeared bruised where it was bleeding below the nail, I returned to praying.  After about 5 minutes, Michael was no longer crying and wanted to play.  So I let him down and he ran off.  Other than telling Eric to be careful with the toe when he gave Michael his bath, I didn't think about it again until I went to help with Michael's bedtime.  We always read a Bible story and pray as a family.  This night, I brought a bandaid with me to put over the toe so that Michael wouldn't accidentally irritate or hurt it more during his sleep.  When I lifted Michael's left foot and looked at the whole, uncreased, unbruised, not bleeding big toenail, I set it back down and picked up his right foot, thinking I had the wrong foot.  But his right big toe was perfect, too.  I then got the privilege of thanking God with a full, grateful, and humbled heart that night.

Why did God answer these prayers in particular?  I don't know, but I think the answer is found in His character.  He wanted to teach me something; He wanted to remind me of the power of prayer; He wanted glory in these situations; He is loving; He is merciful; He can do all things; And on these days, He was willing.  That's reason enough for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment