Saturday, August 6, 2011

Exercise is Fun!!

I love being loved and wanted and needed!  Before I tell my story, let me just clarify that this is great only because Michael's only 2 1/2 years old.  If this happens 20 years from now, we'll have to have some serious discussions.  Anyways, it all started a few days ago on Saturday when Kathy and I were about to go out again after Eric got back from his conference and I had helped get Nathan to bed.  As we were heading towards the door, Michael ran towards me, grabbed me, and said "You can't leave me!  You can't leave me!"  So I explained to Michael that I was NOT leaving him, but just going out for a little while, but would be back later that night.  Of course, it still took a little bit of distraction and redirection to get out the door.

Well, it turns out that that wasn't just a one time thing.  A couple nights ago, Michael did the same thing again.  Since I was just running to the 99cent only store for a few things and it was still about 30-60 minutes before Michael's bedtime, I asked him if he wanted to go with me.  Of course he said, "yes!"  So we had a fun time shopping together.

Other fun things Michael says, "I did it!!!!" (shouted loudly, joyfully, and proudly.)  Instead of breakfast, Michael calls it, "Brekafes."  Whenever he's hungry and wants to eat, he says, "I want lunch."  And even as I type this, he's taking off all his clothes one-by-one saying, "It's too hot."  Nathan's most recent verbal accomplishment is, "Uh-oh!"

For fun and exercise, I took the boys to the Galleria on Thursday morning, to the little Children's play area.  This was Nathan's first time at a play area and he had a lot of fun!

In this picture, Nathan is trying to reach over and play with the same thing Michael is.  Of course, Michael doesn't budge, and even grabs Nathan's hand and takes it away, but all in all, they played well "together."

Nathan discovers these little cars and enjoyed climbing on to the little red one.

But Nathan's favorite thing was when he discovered crawling up the little incline of the Williams Tower.  He spent the rest of the time climbing up the slide, having me lift him back down on to the floor, and repeating.

Best of all was getting to follow his Big Brother!

There's a Chinese phrase, "ke sho" (I'm guessing on the ping-yin), but it basically means to collide or rub shoulders or be in tight spaces with someone.  That's what came to mind when I watched Michael and Nathan playing together.

This is where Nathan would sit and wait to be rescued!

And here's my brave boy climbing all over everything, jumping down from heights taller than himself!

I have definitely noticed that Michael is happier and more well-behaved when he's had a chance to exercise, run around till his head is soaked with sweat, and burn off all his excessive amounts of energy!  Summers in Houston are often so hot that I'm inclined to stay at home.  This means we don't hit the park on the daily basis like we did in the fall, winter, and spring.  I think it was starting to take a toll because Michael was starting to seem bored and sad.  But ever since taking him to the Galleria, he's bounced back to his super happy, joyful, playful self.  So, if you see me at the Galleria or other indoor play area all the time, now you'll know why!

Today we're going to the Houston Aquarium so Michael can ride their train!  Look for details in a future post!

No comments:

Post a Comment