Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Showers of Blessings

Oh how I love to hear the sound of falling raindrops as they hit the ground outside; the unevenness as they filter through the tree leaves and gather into bigger droplets before smashing onto the concrete below; combine that with the pitter-patter on my roof and the ping-ping-ping on the metal flue cap and the symphony of sounds soothes my heart and mind.  And with our drought conditions, this rain is truly a blessing - oh too short of a blessing.  Even the bird that is cooing loudly, "whOO-WHOO whoo-whoo" over and over again as I type is joining in protest that the rain has already petered out.

Recently, I have started to read "Wild at Heart" by John Eldridge to both Michael and Nathan.  While they're only 2 1/2 years old and 10 months, I figured it would be in the rotation of books that I will read regularly to the boys.  So if you ever wonder why I let them run a little wild and let some things go instead of reigning them in - that's why.  I've decided not to raise "nice" boys.  Kind, respectful, responsible, and Godly.  Absolutely.  Just not "nice" and passive. :-)


Funny thing that happened this past weekend.  On Friday, I had gone to lunch with my Mother-in-Law, Sister-in-Law, 2 nieces, and Michael.  Nathan stayed with his Grandpa "A-Kong".  I had ordered a salmon fried rice for Michael, one that he has enjoyed and eaten well in the past.  This day was no different.  He ate about half of the large bowl that would have easily fed an adult.  After everyone else had finished eating, Michael seemed to have stopped eating the rice as well, so I asked the waiter for a box.  He told me that he would take the bowl to the kitchen and box it for us there.  Since I thought Michael was finished eating, I said OK.  However, as soon as the waiter put his hand on the bowl, Michael immediately grabbed it with both hands, refusing to let the waiter take it away.  The waiter finally had to just bring us the box for me to do it.  Then, on Sunday, Eric and I decided to go to Saltgrass for lunch after church.  The same thing happened when we asked the waiter for a box for Michael's left-over Macaroni and Cheese.  The waiter wanted to take the food and box it for us and Michael grabbed it and looked extremely distrustfully at the waiter from the corner of his eyes.

Michael's repertoire of facial expressions has truly expanded to include all sorts of non-verbal communications.  When there's something he's not too thrilled about, he often gives sidelong glances.  Of course, there's also the open-the-mouth-wide-and-cry-loudly-while-giving-a-sidelong-glance-to-the-person-that-is-keeping-me-from-doing-or-getting-what-I-want.  Most of these don't last long since he never gets what he wants, but I usually have to suppress a laugh at how ridiculously cute he still looks.

Nathan is everywhere and into everything.  He has finally discovered our sweet Greyhound, Valentine.  She had always patiently endured Michael tugging on her fur and ears and putting his fingers in her nose and ears.  And now she is once again patiently allowing another little baby to crawl over her body as he discovers his little world.

No comments:

Post a Comment