Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What I've learned about Groupon & Dealfind deals

Well, this post is me postulating what I've learned from personal experience about Groupon & Dealfind deals.  Are they really deals?  It depends on the offer.  When it comes to online companies where I buy a voucher that can be redeemed with a physical product, I haven't had any problems or issues.  But of the 3 salon/spa vouchers that I purchased, two of the 3 businesses refused to honor the voucher.  The first place claimed (falsely) that I had already redeemed the voucher.  Their proof was that someone had highlighted my voucher number on their list with a yellow highlighter.  The second place had set up a "fake" number to call for appointments, which couldn't be reached to make an appointment at all.

Of the third place, Orchid Salon & Spa in Houston, I had one of the better spa experiences ever.  My mani and pedi were done by two women who were very kind, polite, respectful, and did a really good job.  My facial was done by a third woman who was also very kind and professional.  I could see how if I had gone to Orchid Salon & Spa first, I would want to buy more Groupon & Dealfind spa deals.

But after looking up how Groupon & Dealfind make money on Wikipedia, I realize that spa deals are never going to be reliable.  You see, the Spa/Salon agrees to sell you a $170 Groupon/Dealfind at the price of $40.  But, Groupon/Dealfind takes half of that money.  So the Spa/Salon receives $20 for providing you with $170 service.  In this situation, the only winner is Groupon/Dealfind, who made $20 for every deal sold, but they otherwise don't provide any further service.  The business, especially if it's a small business, may find itself on the losing end of the deal because they are the ones actually providing you with the service, but getting paid a pittance for their time and efforts.  This may lead them to have feelings of resentment towards the customer.  So the ultimate loser is the customer!  I have read so many horrible reviews from Groupon/Dealfind customers about being treated rudely, being denied service (like my first experience), and having terrible experiences (bleeding and pain!).

Why am I writing this?  I'm not sure, but I just want to share what my experiences have taught me if they can help even one other person.  You see, I had a great experience today.  It was fantastic!  And I would definitely return to Orchid Salon & Spa again in the future.  But if I knew from the beginning that I'd have to go through 2 bad to have 1 good, I personally do not think the trade-off is worth it.  In general, it is true: You get what you pay for!  And the few times that you are pleasantly surprised - well, those are amazing moments :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment